Friday, May 4, 2012

9 Quick Ways to Steer Towards Your Success: From the Beginning

Deborah at 4 years old.

It really did start here. Born the oldest child of a single teen parent, there was much for me to grasp early on in my life.  So I learned to navigate.  Responsibility, focus and a love of learning put me on a trail that led to beat the overwhelming odds that could've stopped me in my tracks. My earthly entry came also in the midst of the pulsing quest for civil rights as well as gender equity - the movements. Yet, through the many lessons provided by my determined mother, wise grandparents and supportive small town community, I steered through a few things.  Graduate from a prestigious college, became an army officer, entrepreneur and now author. Not that there weren't numerous mistakes and failures along the way.  And now I share the glories of those successes and setbacks in my motivational memoir, Navigating Life's Roadways: Stories of Insight from My Odyssey and Inspiration for Your Journey. I've enjoyed some scenery on my sojourns, much of it similar to what you see in the picture above. Whether it was a smooth waterway, hard hill, or imposing stone, there's been a take-a-away in it from that part of my journey!  Sharing these nine ways for your to steer on, my hope is that you too will see that there is a message in the middle of wherever we find ourselves. Use it to move forward!


  1. Be determined to drive on!

       In spite of.. headwinds,  uncertainty, and storms (Whatever they look like for you - slow economy, job market, relationship challenges)

  1. Rudder at the right signs.

       Stay anchored in your values, vision and interests (List and revisit them)

  1. Open all lanes for learning.

       Detours and potholes are there for a reason (If you fall in or go the wrong way, so what? Find a way out or around)

  1. Crank your motivation motor.    


       What’s the gas in your engine? (Passion, giving back, your expertise, challenge, taking care of your family )                            


  1. Acknowledge fellow travelers.


       We don’t journey alone. (Get support from friends, mentors and network)


  1. Plot a route that’s realistic.

       Be who you are and pace your journey to your style of moving (Do you)


  1. Rejuvenate at rest stops.


       Take a break, vacation or staycation (Have a special spot that fuels you)


  1. Boldly stay on the boulevard of belief.


       See it to the right, left, front and rear as you check your mirror views (Engage!)


  1. Claim victory at critical times.


       Segment your successes for each leg of your journey (Small wins are good)


No comments:

Post a Comment